Being the lazy sort, you'd think I would make nothing but the stack casserole, but truth be told I wasn't thrilled with the tortilla/sauce/filling ratios so I did it the hard way as in rolled them.
Lightbulb moment- After I put a thin layer of sauce in the bottom of the baking dish and went to take out a tortilla I realized about half of them were split through, about a third of the way in, so no way to roll them. Instead of just laying them, I tore them into bite sized pieces and it worked beautifully, the ratios were exactly how I like them and the prep time was drastically reduced. You can cut them with a knife, kitchen shears or a pizza cutter, but tearing them several at a time worked so well, I'll continue to make them this way.
Here is my recipe- I used verde (green, made from tomatillas) enchilada sauce, red works equally well. Enjoy.
Easy Cheese & Onion Enchilada Bake
- 1/2 pkg (30 count) corn tortillas
- 1 jar or can Verde enchilada sauce
- 1 can Tomato sauce
- 1 large Onion, diced
- 1/2 large block Cheese- cheddar, jack, colby jack, shredded or bag of Mexican blend- all work well here
- Peel and dice onion, microwave in oven proof bowl or measuring cup topped with damp paper towel for 3 minutes on high until slightly softened. This cuts baking time by half.
- Mix two sauces.
- Spread a thin layer of sauce in your 9x13" baking dish
- Top with enough tortilla pieces to cover
- Add another layer of sauce
- Top with 1/2 of the onions and 1/2 of the cheese
- Repeat. Decide it could use more cheese (what couldn't?) and add it as well
- Bake @ 375 degrees for 20-30 minutes (longer if you didn't soften onions first)
- Let stand at least 10 minutes (if you can) before serving to firm up.
Two of us did that much damage the first night- the Mr has no self control when it comes to Mexican or Tex Mex inspired dishes. I served sliced avocado with a touch of salt and a squeeze of fresh lime juice and it was delicious. Next time, I think I will make some Avocado Salad but we were out of fresh tomatoes. My mouth wanted more, but my tummy said no way, Jose, you'll regret it so unlike hubs, I used a little restraint. The leftovers were just as delicious if not more so the next day.
If you try it let me know how you like it and if you'll be using this method from now on (unless of course you are trying to impress someone). ;-)