We had some eggplant that needed to get used up so I went searching for recipes and nothing sounded particularly appealing. You know how that goes, this part of one recipe looks good, that part of another. So by taking this and that and adding some that was just me, here's what I came up with and boy is it ever good.
Creamy Eggplant Ziti Bake
- 1/4 cup Butter
- 2 large Eggplant, diced
- 4 oz Mushrooms, diced
- 1/2 bag frozen Tri-pepper and onion blend (can use fresh bell peppers and onions if desired, about 1/2 each
- 2 cups Chicken stock or chicken broth
- 1 can Diced tomatoes, including juice
- 2 cups Heavy cream or half and half
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- 3 to 4 cups Spaghetti sauce
- 2 cups Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Layer Provolone cheese, thinly sliced
- In a largish heavy pot saute eggplant in butter for a few minutes then add the mushrooms and pepper blend, cook about 5 minutes or til vegs are softened. Add the tomatoes and stock and cook over med-low til liquid is mostly cooked down. Add cream and cook down until thick and eggplant is tender 15-20 minutes. Stir in Parmesan cheese.
- Meanwhile cook and drain ziti or other medium noodle according to package directions.
- Remove sauce from heat and add the noodles to it. Put in enough spaghetti sauce so that it's pretty saucy, I like the whole 4 cups.
- Spray a 9"x13" casserole with cooking spray and put the mixture in, spreading evenly. Top with mozzarella and then add the layer of provolone.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until cooked through and cheese is melted and nicely browned.
- Let stand 5-10 minutes before serving.