This is my very favorite veggie casserole. Once more no exact amounts, just layer in the order given until it is as big as you want. I always make a gigantic batch as this is one of those things I can eat for every meal until it is gone- we're talking breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks. Yes, it is that good.
Bountiful Garden Veggie Casserole
- Yellow squash
- Red, yellow, orange or green bell peppers (or any combo you like), cut into strips
- Creole seasoning
- Fresh grated parmesan cheese
- Slice the eggplant, squashes and tomatoes about 1/2 inch thick. Mix onions and peppers together- when they are expensive I buy the frozen tri-colored pepper blend with onions on sale and just defrost and use those. Much cheaper and just as tasty.
- Start with a layer of eggplant, a layer of zucchini, a layer of squash, a layer of peppers & onions then top with tomatoes. Sprinkle liberally with Tony's. If doing a deep casserole, add more layers in the order given, make sure you end with the tomatoes as this will keep the other veggies nice and moist.
- Sprinkle with creole seasoning then a light layer of breadcrumbs and dot lightly with butter if desired. Cover with lid or foil and bake 1 hour and 15 minutes @ 375 degrees.
- Remove foil and sprinkle lightly with the freshly grated Parmesan and bake an additional 15 minutes or until cheese is melted and lightly browned.
*If there is any question as to whether your eggplant might be bitter (sometimes the larger ones are) after they are sliced salt both sides and layer in a colander then put a paper towel on top and weight down with a plate with something heavy on top of it. Let sit for one hour then rinse and pat completely dry.