So, who had the nerve to break the mini diva's heart, you ask?
Some jerky guy? Nope
Some jerky girl? Nope
Some jerky alien life force? Nope, Nope, Nope.
We are saying it is because it's been so long since Ken bought her a new belly ring, but that's just so he feels bad and gets her a new one- and the littlest diva a new one as well so he doesn't break her heart too.
Truth is though, we guess her organs just started rebelling.
She's been wicked tired lately, so we took her to the doc and found out her heart is beating double time (nope, not from the caffeine).
He sent her to a cardiologist and turns out that one of her valves is too thick so they have her on the meds her regular doc gave her til they run out then will put her on another kind.
She goes back in April to get a heart moniter.
Heads will roll if she has to wear it to prom.
She is not a happy camper, but better we found this all out and can do what we need to now before she had a heart attack or something.
Poor little broken hearted diva, she's only 18. As she says, that's for old people mommy and I am not old, I'll never be old, I'm way too immature.
2009 looks to be a very very promising year for us, win-wise.
I read a lot on the message boards how companies are getting cheaper and cutting back on prizes and bloggers are the only ones having giveaways (YAY!) and yada yada, but I am doing fantastically well so far. These are just the prizes I have gotten in my hot little hands, not the Instant win screens or email notices. (And yes, eventually I will put Nov and Dec wins on my 2008 win list, but I want to do these before I forget them.)
This is just the beginning, I have a feeling 2009 is going to be my best year yet!!!
Make sure to check out the current giveaways to find some awesome giveaways to enter yourself.
Velvet Angel Assassin Boots (these totally rock, the mini-diva loves them)
$300 TGI Friday's GCs
$10 Wing Zone GC
$50 Dicks Sporting Goods GC
Nintendo DS Zensus Rainforest and Ocean
Bracelet Set (3) and Necklace
John Deere Bicycle, Booster Seat, Jeremy & the Airfield Wooden Thomas and Friends Playset and a car shade thingy.
Fairy Roaches- or Ferrero Rocher dark chocolates to all you purists who insist on calling things by their proper name. ;-)
New Orleans Classic Gumbos and Soups recipe book.
Free Kraft Product Coupons - Nabisco Crackers, Planters Snack & Kraft, Cracker Barrel or Polly-O Cheese
Maybelline Volume Express Colossal Mascara
$25 Starbucks GC
Cheeky Monkey Reusable Tote
Limited Edition Cookie Cutters (Land O Lakes)
Nerf Blaster for the Wii
Trip for 4 to Legoland, California (Confirmed, not yet taken.) Lego sets, 2 baseball caps, 1 princess hat, Lego magnets, $100 Journeyz Kids gc
$25 Amazon GC
Free Product Coupon- Combos
Spin Lash Mascara
Free Product Coupon- Suave Product
Case of Little Debbie 100 Calorie Pack Snack Cakes
Reading Comprehension Success Workbook (for honorary Godchildren)
$25 Amazon GC, $10 B&BW GC
Signed Prosperity / Money Games Book
$10 Long John Silvers GC
Biotherm Aquasource holiday set
KN Chenille Socks (BCA)
$100 ShopBop.com GC
Stila Backstage with Lela Rose
Dinner @ My Place by Tyler Florence Cookbook
Tucker Bags Dandelion Reusable grocery bag
Allure/Aveeno reusable tote & several full-sized products
$5 Sears GC
Lucky Bamboo Plant
4 Free Product Coupons Michel Angelo's
2 Free Movie Cash Tickets
Yoplait Kids Prize Pack
Disney Earth Prize Pack
2 Free Movie Passes
Revlon Gift Bag
Beautyfix Valentines Day Prize Pack
Taste Of Home Cookbook
All You Mag 1 Yr. Subscription- will start in August
(10) Coupon for Mars Candy
(8) Free Product Coupon for Pace Product
(3) T Shirts
Living Beauty Book
Safari Jungle Mini Golf Set
Self help book
Hardcover complete set of Gregory Maguire (Wicked) books
Coffee Talk Vivabox
Professional grade tongs
Taste of Home cookbook
Jello nail polish
Free Product Coupon Health Valley
T-shirt & Tote
Step 2 Water Rush Quarry
Sun Chips Prize Pack
Pace Prize Pack
(2) Rapidlash Eyelash Renewal Serum
Amazon Beauty Shampoo & Conditioner
$75. E-GC Sephora
Barefoot Tess shoes (really cute and comfy ballet flats)
Yoplait prize pack
Heely's- Dev LOVES these she's practicing before wearing to school, though. Oh and she has supercute really high high-tops that she's been rocking. ;)
BusyBodyBook organizer- berry planner
Simply soy candle & fragrance gift set
$10 Amazon GC
Free product coupon- Claim Jumpers Meal
Minute Rice Prize Pack
Yoplait Whips prize pack
$40 Container Store GC's
$25 Cinemark GC
(2) 4 GoPicnic Meals
MolliCoolz Shakers 8 pack
Pack Spifes (spoon knife combos)
Sonic Gift Pack including $20 Sonic GC's
Kids book- Dinosaur Hunt
Calling Cards & Matching Pen (Wicked Cool- these are so awesome) from MyLifeOnTime
Jessica Steele Bib Apron
Lazy Environmentalist Prize Pack
$500 AmEx GC
GoGurt Winter Hat
Rimmel Sexy Curves Mascara
Yoplait whips prize pack
Wilton 2010 yearbook prize pack
(4) 3 month Club Pogo Membership
(2) Binaca prize pack
Sundae Making Kit
Wilton cupcake stand
Haba pyramid blocks
Leapfrog Tag & 3 books
LuckyBreaks Fruit & Passion prize pack
Custom Sign Danielson Designs
Avery school supply basket
Amy Knapp's Family Organizer
Triple Chocolate Brownie Cake
Hershey's Chocolate Meltaways
Magna Light Flashlight
Beauty Junkies Organic Essentials Prize Pack
Stila Cosmetics Prize Pack
Stonyfield Farms Prize Pack
El Taquador prize pack
Free Product Coupon- Little Debbie's Cupcakes
Healthy Beef Cookbook
Veggie Tales Christmas DVD
Wow Wow Wubbzy Christmas DVD
Pravana Shampoo & Conditioner
Crayola Crayon Tower
Clarisonic Mia & $50 Skin Store GC
$300 Intelligent Nutrients products
Yokids gift pack
Viva Swag Swagstakes
165 received so far.
1: My Boyfriend and I have maintained a trans continental relationship for nearly 5 years now. Hopefully when he finishes school this year we can do something about the distance
2: I LOOOOOOOOOVE anime and manga The Slayers is my all time fave Lina Inverse FTW
3: .I LOOOOOOOOVE gaming most types of games my faves though are RPG’s mmo’s and survival horror’s and God games
4: I play on a European server in WOW so I have friends located all over the world. And some of them read mommies blog HI DARKOWL *waves*
5: When I play mmo’s I have an alt problem ^^ I like to try a lot of race/class combos and also for roleplay purposes
6: I have a short atentio……… Oh look shiny things.
7: I have the bestest mommy in the Looney verse universe and any other verses out there
8: I Like writing….err well I like thinking up story ideas I usually am to lazy to actually write them down.
9: The most important people in my life my self included have an addiction to diet coke even my boyfriend YAY though he calls it coke lite.
10: I HAVE the BEST family that ever was!!
Gamer girlie out.
1)I'm short. 4'11, to be exact, and I'm already 18. I like being short though... for the most part.
2)I have abandonment issues-even though I've never been abandoned. Mom PUT ME DOWN! when she was pregnant with Devon. I've never recovered.
3)I think the way that schools are set up is pretty pointless.
4)Grandma owes me coconut pie, from over a year ago, and I haven't forgotten about it. I want my pie!!!
5)I have no problem with making myself look like a dork in public-often I can do it without even trying!
6)I'm quite possibly the pickiest eater you may ever come across. Not only do I not like most foods, I wont eat them if I'm not in the mood for them or there's something even slightly off. (Unless I'm a guest at someones house or something, in which case I eat it and lie through my teeth and say it's good.)
7)I'm not like Devon. I don't NEED Ian to watch kiddie movies. I can do it allllllllllllllllllllll on my own. Hah!
8)I get bored and lonely very easily, and so if my friends aren't on, I make Dodo game with me, or we watch a movie or something.
9)I drive everyone crazy because I'll get hooked on one song, and sing it for like a month. (Viva La Vida by Coldplay. =3 I luffs that one.)
10)"I'm genuinly self absorbed, and deeply shallowed." (Fiyero from Wicked) It really depends on my mood if I am or not. But hey, if I didn't have me, I wouldn't be able to enjoy coffee. I looooove coffee.
There you have it. My 10 things.
(Thanks for passing it on, Mom)
A) First list 10 honest things about yourself - and make it interesting, even if you have to dig deep!
B) Pass the award on to 7 bloggers whom you feel embody the spirit of the Honest Scrap.
I am so flattered to have received this award from Me over at An Eagles View . Sorry it took so long to to get to it. Oops.
I am trying to think of 10 things that I (or my kids) haven't shared with you... I pretty much blog about everything that comes to me.
1) I really suck at keeping up with my bloggy friends and am really late at getting this award posted.
2) The older I get the more I want to belt people who are rude to those they consider *beneath* them- food servers, wait staff, cashiers, nurses, you get the idea. I have gotten to that wonderful point in life where I could care less what they say/think about me and point out their bad behavior. Very politely, of course. ;-)
3) We once had a contest as to who could pick out the worst show on TV. Ken won with some type of survival show where the guy drank his own pee. GAG ME GROSS.
4) Johnny Depp tops the list of my freebie clause (meaning- if I ever got the chance I'd be with them and NOT be cheating) oh and John Rzeznik from the Goo Goo Dolls... followed very very closely by Adrien Paul, Hugh Laurie, and what'shisname from Burn Notice, what'shisname from NCIS and whoever else I happen to find drool-worthy at the moment.
5) I have very eclectic taste in music but I am a peasant because I just can't no matter how I try get myself to like opera or classical. But I am not a redneck because I don't like country either (well except for a very, very few crossover songs).
For the most part, I like rock, hard rock, headbanging rock. I come by it honestly- according to mama- Metallica Rules!!!.
But every now and then I get sucked in by the pop songs. Right now I am on a Pink kick. ;-)
6) I don't watch or listen to the news and actively focus on the positive. I hear about the really important things (I mean, I do know who our president is- Go, Obama)- but as long as they purposely play up the bad, the depressing, the horrific, I will keep it as much out of my life as possible.
7) If I am not going anywhere or having someone over I will often stay in my P.J.'s from shower to shower to save on doing laundry which is my nemesis.
8) I have to bribe myself to do things I don't want to- like if I do a load of laundry I can have this treat or watch this show or enter 10 contests or whatever.
9) My feet are always cold so I wear socks and slippers all the time when I am home. My favorite are the KN super soft ones.
10) If (when) I win a Mega-Lottery after splitting with mama I would donate a ton anonymously and then Ken would bank enough to live on and we'd get this place fixed up really nice (he would live here most of the time, retire from work and play pro poker). I would buy a house in Hampton (on the beach) N.H. by mama and that would be my home base. I'd buy a house in Florida for whoever wanted to go on vacation and hire my brother to make sure the maids and groundskeepers kept it nice. ;)
I would also open the coolest ever bookstore/cafe/new age shop and let my inner hippie dippy trippy chic run loose traveling and collecting really cool things to display/sell there. Oh and on my travels to Italy I would have at least a dozen pairs of shoes/boots custom made with matching bags.
Okay once more I am going to play this by my own rules (as much as I love and appreciate the recognition, I only have so much time/energy to devote to this, so I am passing this on to my 4 girls so y'all can get to know them better (and yes, they totally tell it like it is so that part is good) and Trina (my boyfriends mother).
I would award every single blogger putting themselves out there an award, so if you'd like, consider yourself nominated. :-)
Thank you so much for entering, I really appreciate you taking the time to check out my blog and giveaways.
It's been a while since I've hosted a giveaway- if you read my blog you know life has a habit of getting in the way of my good intentions.
I figured Bloggy Carnival time was as good a time as any to get back to it.
I will be giving away (1) $25. Amazon GC Worldwide
I'm going to make it pretty simple-
One entry daily just for commenting. Ends 2/2 at 11:59 pm.
Extra entries for:
1) Blogging about the giveaway and linking back to this post.
2) Adding my button to your sidebar
3) Follow me through blogger (see sidebar)
4) Follow me on Twitter (see sidebar) and tweet about this giveaway- can be done daily (comment with link)
5) Add my url to your blog roll
6) Subscribe to my RSS feed (see sidebar)
I will be checking, so please don't say you did something if you didn't.
Current subscribers and followers, just leave a comment for credit.
Winner will be chosen by Randomizer.
If you love winning like I love winning make sure to check out these giveaways currently going on around the net.
When you're done, make sure to check out the other giveaways.
2009 is starting out to be an awesome year for wins- (yeah, I know I suck and didn't even finish updating my 2008 win list but I'll get there).
Okay, so here's some of my recent wins- $300 TGI Fridays GC, 2 $25. prepaid MasterCard's, a Smart-e-bear, Lucky Mom Tee, I forget what all the girls have dibbed, but I am very happy with the way the year is starting out.
Mom got the finalized dates for our trip to Universal - May 5th through 8th. Even though they had room at the park, apparently there was some trouble getting plane tickets.
So now it is just a matter of figuring out whether to tack the 3 weeks at mom's at the beginning, end or around the edges.
We are really looking forward to the visit- it's been waaaaaaay too long.
It looks like my sister will be moving from Jersey to New Hampshire by the time I go, so that will be good to see her- that's been forever too.
Okay Trina tagged me with a thingymadelio so if y'all want to get to know me better, keep reading.
I am supposed to tag 3 others- we'll see how that goes but most likely I'll do that later. Just in case, please, consider yourself tagged and play along.
Tag your it! Getting to know you .
I got this from Trina- play with us if you want.
Ok I'm bored. So I am going to post this survey and tag three people to repost it on their blog and answer the questions. They do the same so on so on.
1. What time did you get up this morning?The ungodly hour of 6 freaking am.
2. Are you a morning person or a night person?See above- I would be a morning person if it started at a decent hour like 3pm.
3. What is your shoe size?6 ½
4. Pets?5 dogs- Lady, Cin, Trav, Dude, Baby
5. Any new and exciting news you'd like to share with us? Nope, I am unbelievably boring. ;-)
6. What did you want to be when you were little?NOT OLD - I thought 30 was ancient. Seriously no burning ambitions but to have fun.
7. How are you today?Good- pretty happy all in all.
8. What is your favorite candy?Peanut M&Ms, Reeses, Snickers and a new fave we found this Christmas- Cranberry Salt-Water-Taffy
9. What is your favorite flower?Dandy-lions. Little balls of sunshine that you just can’t keep down.
10. What is a day on the calendar you are looking forward to? All of them.
11. What is your favorite pastime?Going to the beach. Riding rollercoasters, Hanging with my family
12. What are you doing right now?Trying to get a damn blog post up.
13. What was the last thing you ate?Subway Spicy Italian w/ baby spinach, lettuce, tomato, pickles & Kraft Roasted Red Pepper Italian with Parmesan salad dressing- and Dawn just got me the other half.
14. Do you wish on stars?No, I wish on planets cuz apparently stars aren’t big enough according to the geekazoid. ;)
15. If you were a crayon, what color would you be?Ever changing with every color of the beachy tropics.
16. How is the weather right now?Meh not too cold, not too hot, just too blahishy.
17. The first person you spoke to on the phone today?My best friend and mommy.
18. Favorite soft drink?Diet Coke- some parts of the country Diet Pepsi- I guess the water or something tastes different.
19. Favorite restaurant?Whatever one I am eating at if I am enjoying the food, anyplace but where I am eating if it sucks.
20. Natural hair color?Dark blonde to light brown
21. What was your favorite toy as a child?My grandpa - seriously he was so fun everyone loved him.
22. Summer or winter?SUMMER!!!!!
23. Hugs or kisses?Being left alone. ;-)
24. Chocolate or Vanilla?Depends on mood. I am ornery I didn’t like chocolate til I found out I was mildly allergic.
25. Coffee or tea?Hello, my name is Sherry and I am a major coffee addict and I have no intention of stopping.
26. Do you want your friends to email you back?Umm do I have friends? Not really, cuz I have so damn much email to get through it makes me feel bad when I don‘t get back to them in a timely manner.
27. When was the last time you cried?A gazillion years ago.
28. What is under your bed? GIGANTOID mutant dust bunnies.
29. What did you do last night?Played with kids- Ian came over and was in a piss and vinegar mood and after they left we watched NCIS on the DVR (God, how did I ever live without that???) and finally, finally the new Burn Notice.
30. How many keys on your key ring?No idea.
31. Favorite day of the week?
Any day I don’t have to get up early with the alarm.
32. How many towns have you lived in?No clue. Sometimes I have to be reminded of states I have lived in. ;-)
33. Do you make friends easily?Pretty much, yeah.
34. How many people will you send this to?None.
35. How many will respond?No idea.
36. What time is it?Lunchtime.
37. What are you afraid of ?Nothing any more- used to be not being perfect and disappointing others.
38. Salty or sweet ?Salty.
I am tagging You.
For the first time in a long time there is an excitement sweeping our nation.
I truly believe that he is ready to lead us back to the former glory we knew- as a world leader.
Perhaps it is because I have children and a grandson, but I am swelling with pride that we have come so far as a nation.
In my parents day it would have been unthinkable that we would elect by an overwhelming majority a bi-racial President.
In my grandparents day he would not even have been able to sit at the same table in a restaurant.
With my children and their friends I notice a new sense of patriotism that has been lacking for a great many years.
It is my hope that we can set aside our differences and roll up our sleeves and do what we can to assist President Obama to make America and being an American great again.
Geekazoid here--I just had to put in my two cents.
Most of my friends and I are all supportive of President Obama--most of them watched the inauguration during lunch in teachers' classrooms (I didn't see the speech, but I watched as he was sworn in when I was in class). I really believe that he's going to take the country in new, positive directions.
But there are a few people I know who take the opposite view--I heard things in class today about Obama that would be completely inappropriate to repeat. It's fine not to like him; that's your opinion. But what's the point in loudly and rudely badmouthing him? He won the race two months ago, and thus far he hasn't actually done anything as President to deserve such harsh criticism--or any criticism, for that matter. He's only been in office for a few hours.
I don't get it.
I'm still Blondie, by the way. I'm just not blond anymore, that's all... I dyed my hair black, as you can probably see in the not-so-great Christmas picture of me. I like it, but I do miss the blond sometimes. Mom misses it more than sometimes..
So I thought I'd let you all know how amazing my Mommy is- not that you haven't figured it out by now. (Also, suck up points NEVER hurt!)
Ian spent the night last night, and when Dodo was trying to get him to sleep, I happened to walk in because she was making weird, incorrect animal noises. So I joined in, teaching the kid the proper way to Mooooooo! Which lead to extreme Little Bunny Foo Foo. Devon came in, and we started playing Monkey's rolling off of the bed... Where Dev and I would do flips off of Mommy's bed and giggle and laugh so much we couldn't breathe.
On top of that, Dodo and I watched a horror movie last night-It was an irritating one that had LOUD background music and quiet dialogue. But mommy was nice and stayed up late so that way we could finish it (It was to loud for her to sleep, but she luffffssss us! Let's hope she feels the same when we watch "The Grudge" tonight.)
And here's why my mommy's the BESTEST. Every now and then I'll get hooked on a song or a musical. This week, it's been Les Miserables and Wicked... And I always sing them loud and with power and in the voices-as best as I can. And she's been listening to me singing the same parts of the same songs for like..two weeks now. But she only complains sometimes, and even then she'll only say "Wow, you were way off." and let me continue singing. I desperatly want to see "Wicked" now, as well as read the books they're based off of. ^^ They're supposed to be different, but both very good.
Just so you all know, I LOVE having a trampoline in my living room. How on earth did I live without it for so long?! I don't know, and I don't think that I ever will.
Oh, I also loves my Hello-coppers! I totally rock at flying them... (Forget that I JUST learned how to make it stop spinning and go in the vague direction I want it to... one day, I might actually watch the DVD it came with... Don't count on it, though.)
I get a bazajillion million suck up points for this! I dib them! =P
Anyway, I'm out.
My team played in a tournament yesterday, and we won. We got a big, shiny trophy and everything. That makes me an athlete, right?
I mean, sure, it's a Quiz Bowl team. And sure, the most athletic thing I do is press a buzzer when I know the answer to a trivia question. But still. Team, trophies, tournaments. That implies sports. Same basic thing.
So much going on here- As you can see, I finally got an awesome new look for my blog. Amanda from Made by Amanda made my header and button. I think she did an awesome job. Sparkly is so *us* don'tcha think?
You really need to check out what she's done, especially if you are considering a change. I'll carry her button on my sidebar so you'll be able to hop on over when you are ready for a new look.
Thanks, Amanda. I can't tell you how happy this makes the little divas and I.
Had an ER visit this week- luckily caught it this time before a transfusion was necessary, hopefully the docs will be able to get it under control without more blood being necessary. The ER doc said it was getting close, so I will do everything they tell me.
I thank God for all the wonder- drugs they give me to get things under control, not the least of which was morphine this time. LOL Actually I do not like how it makes me feel, but I get so sore, my ribs still feel bruised from being so sick and I went in on Wednesday.
Things happen and I get delayed- here, finally are some of our holiday photos. The others are on a different camera. We will probably eventually get them on here. ;-)
Kyra got an awesome new camera as an early Christmas present- I think she did a great job.
Even when things really get me down I can usually get myself out the doldrums pretty quickly. Yesterday took me a bit longer. Sorry, guys. I can blame it on being sick and running a fever or being worried about Ken (he's fine, just a broken non-weight bearing bone (fibula) in the leg, but what's the point. I had a crappy day and I let it get to me.
Woke up today with a whole new attitude and outlook and just super duper glad things weren't worse than they were.
Do any of you waste time between *tasks* on the computer with the mindless, pretty, sparkly games? I have a couple- Bejeweled and Peggle Nights. Ian calls them my boom-boom games and likes to sit on my or someone elses lap and *help*.
Well, sometime at the end of last year I won a download of Bejeweled Twist and it really puts a new spin on things. Gamer girlie I think is hooked already. Tons of fun, if you like fun puzzle games you might want to check it out.
I also won a Bejeweled Paperweight that the little geekazoid called dibs on and just loves.
Got our first win in for the year- I knew about it a couple of days before Christmas but I don't count things til they are in hand. We won a Smart-e-bear for Ian from a blog contest. This thing is so soft, so cute and the voice sounds like Calliou. Gamer girlie aka my techie guru has already programmed it to say his name.
One of the things I love most about it is that it grows with the child- you can download games and songs and so much more. The kids are especially excited about the different languages. We live in such a global world, who'da thunk it?
If you think this is something you might like for a special child in your life, Amazon was having a super sale on them last time I looked.
Kyra has decided to wait to bring the Smart-e-bear out until they have been having one of those we've been cooped up all week and nothing is going right days since the E-man has gotten so many new things for Christmas.
Oh and she is going to get me those pictures (we used her new camera to take most of the pics here since they spent a good part of the holidays with us) so y'all can see what a great and blessed Christmas we had in our Loonyverse.
Within the next few days I will try to get them up for y'all to enjoy.
Have a great day, everyone.
Ken was in a wreck on his way to work- he is okay... or at least mobile and lucid. Pretty shaken up- his legs got banged and his brother is taking him to the hospital to be checked out. Don't think I am awful for not being with him, he didn't want me there.
This sounds terrible because I should be able to just be grateful that he's okay but I am cursing the fact that since he's been having a few problems with his car (transmission going out) and I didn't have errands to do I let him take mine. The whole front end is smooshed in and had to be towed here- it looks like a total loss. I'm grateful, really I am, and I know it could have been a whole lot worse but I spent a long time without a car and I am mourning the loss.
It happened right down the street and the way the car is smooshed I am pretty sure that the other lady (emt's say she is fine) was either turning from kitty-corner from almost across or barreling down the road.
Now Ken is the most conservative driver on the planet- so much so that it irritates me at times, but better safe than sorry. Unfortunately because no one saw where she had come from they are calling it a failure to yield on his part and he got the ticket. Which means since my car was older and whatnot we didn't have replacement insurance. Call me selfish if you want, but right now I am upset.
I know we'll just have to get Ken's car fixed sooner than we had planned (we were hoping that him just using it on days when I had to use mine it would last a bit longer) and it will be okay but since the ex got laid off a couple of weeks ago we didn't want to put the money into it right yet as we count on the child support payments.
Mama (my best friend and sounding board) is having her own problems right now, with money and health and needing oxygen and family things, so I can't even whine to her.
UGH THIS REALLY SUCKS! I hate being / feeling like this, I am so not a poor me why do bad things always happen type of person. I know that in the grand scheme of things we are incredibly blessed with so very many good things and I'll feel like that again in just a little bit. Right now though, it's hard.
Sorry for b*tching, and for asking for prayers, I know we'll get through this and I know mommy will be okay and Ken will be okay and the money and cars will work themselves out, but if you don't think it is too terribly selfish I would really appreciate it if you could spare a thought that we get through this with as little muss and fuss and as much grace and dignity as possible.
Yes, it's true, I have a boyfriend. It's okay, though, the family knows about it and approves. (No, we're not THAT wild.)
You see, my boyfriend is 9 years old and he has taught me so much I can't even begin to tell you how much this child means to me.
I came across a contest today to nominate a child to help them celebrate an achievement.
Without going into a ton of the details, I met his mother when she was struggling to come to terms with what basically amounted to a horrible prognosis/outlook for Dallas' life.
My heart ached for her and I wanted to do some small thing to tell her not to give up so I took a chance and pm-ed her- you know her as Trina if you read my blog, so you know we are as close as can be.
Every day Dallas defies every doctor and every test and every diagnoses and that boy continues to amaze us all.
Well, I could go on and on but since I had to write a short essay for the contest I'll just cut and paste and put it here-
Dallas singing Missing Pieces.
Dear readers- without further ado I give you... My boyfriend, my hero.
When I first met Dallas, his mom was frantic because he had been diagnosed with CP, autism, and other disabilities, including blindness, and was told that he would stay in a semi-vegetative state.
With determination and courage rarely seen in adults, Dallas has overcome so much that he is walking, feeding himself, singing, talking, and communicating in ways that show he understands.
Every day Dallas shows an improvement, defying the experts with dignity and grace. He’s also become quite the YouTube star, as people across the USA and even other countries are inspired by the leaps and bounds he continues to make.
Dallas is a hero and inspiration to everyone who knows him or reads his story and I am thrilled to nominate him for the Celebrate Achievement contest because I can think of no one who has achieved more in such a short time.
My fave Dallas Video. ;-)
He's a cutie, huh? Now you know how he hooked me.
I am so honored- I not only got buzzed by The Ohana Mama Blog / The Mom Buzz. I also received an award from The Lazy Housewife @ So Not Domestic.
I really can't tell you how flattered I am- I know it might be a bit of a vanity (oh, please, like you didn't know that about me already) but I just love that my blog is being enjoyed.
Here are the rules for the Proximidade Award:"This blog invests and believes in PROXIMITY--nearness in space, time, and relationships! These blogs are exceedingly charming. These kind bloggers aim to find and be friends. They are not interested in prizes or self-aggrandizement. Our hope is that when the ribbons of these prizes are cut, even more friendships are propagated. Please give more attention to these writers! Deliver this award to eight bloggers who will choose eight more and include this cleverly-written text into the body of their award."
Does that rock or what? Seriously!
I have met so very many awesome bloggers that I'd love to have over for tea or go out for drinks with or just plain hang out with. Every one of you deserves an award but in the spirit of the Proximidade Award I am choosing 8. If you haven't yet had the pleasure of reading these blogs, go ahead and do yourself a favor and check them out. Some I've just recently discovered, some I've been enjoying since before I started my own blog. All of them are worth reading.
Betty over at Keeper of the Skies Wife
Heather over at Mindless Junque
Tiffany over at The R Family Diaries
Fidget over at Finding Yourself, Despite Yourself
EmmaP over at Musings of the Mindless Banterer
Suburban Correspondent over at The More, The Messier
Me over at An Eagle's View
And last but not least:
However, since I did put in my time... err I mean I loved every minute of it... I figure that gives me the right to label myself an expert and pass off my unwanted advice to all my blogging buddies.
Here are some of my best mom wisdomisms (I am making up a word here cuz I don't know what else to call them). What are yours?
1) Letting the kids dance on the coffee table did not turn them into strippers despite the dire warnings of *those people* (although if you want to work at Coyote Ugly and dance on the bar, girlies, go for it, you won't shame or embarrass me).
2) You do not go to hell for skipping parts when reading the same f&#$%$#$& bedtime story for the 80 gazillionth time... although if the kids catch on to you, you might consider hell a reprieve.
3) Just because I don't have millions of baby pictures doesn't mean they aren't mine or that I love them less than their sisters- it means the older ones kept me too busy to preserve every second of the littles' life. Blame them. (A little sibling rivalry is a good thing).
4) Losing my temper and letting the kids hear me cuss and rant and rave did not turn them into foul-mouthed sailors, the worst it did is scare the sh*t out of them temporarily which is not necessarily awful. Especially when it stopped whatever caused me to go off in the first place.
5) Watching R-rated movies and listening to questionable music does not turn kids into rapists, murderers, haters or any other thing- and only partly cuz most of the words we don't understand and make up our own.
While some kids cannot handle these things, I am thinking these are kids who have NO GRASP on reality. Open dialogue and just plain living and talking about what you see and hear teaches them right from wrong, and if they don't get that it's a mental issue, not because you let them watch an action flick.
Besides if you don't watch together how do they know when you get to the mushy gushy sex scenes to say ewwwwwwwwwwwwww is it over yet? If they have to sneak they will sit with eyes glued to the set and learn what you are trying to keep from them.
6) While they say you get no second chances, every day with your kids is a day to start anew and do better. They are very forgiving and want to love you, so admit you are a screwed-up human and do what you can to right things and try better next time.
If that fails, pay them to say how awesome you are and blog with you so you can keep up your delusions and present a united front to the rest of the world.
7) Not putting your kids in every sports/music/social program does not make you a bad parent- in fact if you ask the kids, it is only the other parents you are impressing. They are overburdened and desperate for free time to just be a kid.
Besides, it is not the ones who had 15 years of whatever and and and who make it to the finals of Coyote Ugly (see 1) or the next Dallas Cowboy Cheerleader anyways. ;-)
8) Pick your battles. Little tiny holes or blue hair won't matter 10 years from now, brain fried from drugs or liver shot from alcohol or teen pregnancy or std's will affect them for the rest of their lives.
When *they* tell you how wrong you are and how your kids will end up in cults or jail or as druggie hookers thank them very much and snicker behind your hand cuz you know their *perfect* child who was raised "right" is doing things that would cause a coronary at the very least so you know you hold the power to crash their little Utopia's around their ankles if you really were the b*tch they say you are.
9) Deny, deny, deny. Your kids will embarrass you like no-one else ever could. They will repeat every bit of sensitive information they hear. They will mimic your every less than stellar action.
Deny they are yours. Swear you don't have any idea where the little monster spawns of Satan came from even though they look just like you. Walk away and don't look back when they scream "mommy, mommy, don't leave me, mommy".
10) Everything you do as a parent is wrong to someone so just smile and nod and yes them to death and if they won't quit say you had your chance to screw up your kids, now it's my turn.
I do not get as reflective as some do, but try to count my blessings and dwell on the good things life has to offer.
Instead of resolutions, which I freely admit when I made them felt like shackles and musts (which I sucked at) I try to make lifestyle choices.
How lame does that sound?
But really, I like to look at what is going right and see what other areas I might incorporate what is working into.
So, counting my blessings for 2008 and counting on even more in 2009.
May you all be richly blessed with that which you most desire in the new year.